[tor-relays] Node families and guard flags

Ralph Seichter tor-relays-ml at horus-it.de
Thu Sep 15 19:42:08 UTC 2016

On 15.09.16 21:21, Green Dream wrote:

> The Advertised Bandwidth is is significantly lower on TorRelay02HORUS
> too.

Indeed, even though bandwitdh settings are identical on both nodes:

  BandwidthRate 96 MBytes
  BandwidthBurst 112 MBytes

Arm shows me that node #1 has upload/download of around 600 Mb/s right
now, node #2 only around 35 Mb/s. I'll try the measurement you suggested
later, this will require some preparation first.

> From a quick glance, it seems that TorRelay02HORUS just isn't
> providing the same bandwidth as TorRelay01HORUS. There could be many
> reasons for this, including hardware, other nodes on the same network
> rack at your host, upstream bandwidth for the datacenter, peering
> between the node and the bandwidth authorities, etc.

I've alread checked memory and CPU, both nodes have ample capacities to
spare in this regard. Maybe external factors are involved, like you have
mentioned. I'll dig into this deeper. Looking at the graphs for #2, the
spikes early in the life cycle surprise me most. Data throughput was much
higher, and for a brief period the guard flag seems to have been awarded
as well.

-Ralph