[tor-relays] Running tor on OpenBSD with hardware acceleration

Farid Joubbi joubbi at kth.se
Wed Sep 14 08:12:15 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have a relay running on OpenBSD.

LibreSSL that comes with OpenBSD does not have support for hardware acceleration.

I get this when I start tor:

"[notice] We were built to run on a 64-bit CPU, with OpenSSL 1.0.1 or later, but with a version of OpenSSL that apparently lacks accelerated support for the NIST P-224 and P-256 groups. Building openssl with such support (using the enable-ec_nistp_64_gcc_128 option when configuring it) would make ECDH much faster."

How do I enable support for hardware acceleration?

My guess is that I have to compile and install OpenSSL, then compile Tor to use the new OpenSSL.

Does anyone here have any experience with this on OpenBSD?

Anything that I have missed and should be aware of?

Thanks.