[tor-relays] DigitalOcean pricing (Re: tomhek - the (new) biggest guard relay operator)

Matthew Walker mwalker at khaosdev.com
Wed Sep 14 05:49:04 UTC 2016

If you're interested in knowing what happens when you scale up (in the
USA), I recently went on a quest to move from a collection of virtual
private servers to some sort of dedicated solution.

* The cheapest I found in a tor friendly fully dedicated server is 70$/mo
for 1Gbps transit (via OVH)
* The cheapest 1 rack collocation I've found is 400$/mo for 1Gbps transit
(via HurricaneElectric); this was substantially cheaper than most quarter
and half rack colo options as well.

This cost is broken out into two things
* transit (when not using a discount network like HE) you can expect to pay
upwards of $1000 / Gbit
* power (and cooling), somewhere between 10~50$/mo per amp depending on how
dense you are and if you want redundant A/B power.

For not particularly dense installs on modern hardware, you can thumb about
1.5A per rack U. And that modern server is going to set you back a couple
thousand as well (though you can get cheap 5year old hardware for a couple
bucks if you have the power/cooling to spare.)

I'm continually surprised by how cheap VPS providers can go. Either they're
massively over-provisioning, or they get really good deals in bulk;
probably both.

~Mwalker