[tor-relays] relay lost most of its consensus weight

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Wed Sep 14 01:44:57 UTC 2016

On 13 September 2016 at 20:34, jensm1 <jensm1 at bbjh.de> wrote:
> Addendum: Did a bit of research (or rather checked some random relays on
> Atlas).
>
> It seems like it's not only my relay that experienced a significant drop at
> the same time. I can't find anything obvious these relays have in common.
> new/old, large/small, guard/exit/middle, different countries and ASes.
>
> So it might be BWAuth related after all.

It's possible! (Likely even.)  If you want to try and get a slightly
deeper of level of understanding, I can suggest some things, but the
general recommendation of "wait a few weeks" is still the main action
to take. We're sorry for the dip, and we greatly appreciate you
sticking it out while the network catches up with what you're able to
contribute.

If you want to investigate I would grab the recent votes and
consensuses from collector (https://collector.torproject.org/). Look
at the votes by the bwauths (maatuska, gabelmoo, moria1, Faravahar,
and longclaw) and see how they measure you. Look also for when the
figure changes (it should be every 2-4 days.) Look at what figure
winds up in the consensus and confirm it dips with your measured
traffic dip. You can watch these figures to see when you can expect
your traffic to rise.

And, if you're the truly pioneering sort, you could investigate
integrating this type of measurement/analysis into Atlas or a similar
tool.

-tom