[tor-relays] [tor-relays-universities] Legal issues relevant to UK

Gareth Llewellyn gareth at networksaremadeofstring.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 16:44:28 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Jens Kubieziel <maillist at kubieziel.de>
wrote:

> X-Post from tor-relays-universities@
>
> I ran some relays at Geman universities in the past. I guess my
> experiences won't help here. Maybe someone on tor-relays has experience
> with running a relay at an UK university, so I send this mail to
> tor-relays@ too.
>
> * Duncan Guthrie schrieb am 2016-09-01 um 01:09 Uhr:
> > I'm hoping to run a Tor relay here at a University in the UK.
> > Is there anyone here who might have some experience with this in the
> > past? I have been researching legal issues but information is
> > extremely sparse (mostly relating to the DMCA). All I can really work
> > out is that the issues relating to ISPs apply more generally, and more
> > strictly to a Tor exit node operator.
> > What protections, if any, exist here in the UK for a Tor exit node
> > operator?

The Tor Exits / relays I operate in the UK are done so in my capacity as an
ISP which as you mention has various protections.

Are you planning on doing this officially as part of the university (
https://ins.jku.at/infrastructure/tor-exit-node ) or are you a student /
faculty who wants to run a relay on spare hardware (and is therefore at the
will of the University AUP etc)?

I don't think you'll find any explicit protections in law and may even find
yourself at the receiving end of being designated a "communications service
provider" (especially so once the Investigatory Powers Bill comes into
force!)