[tor-relays] Tor and Diplomatic Immunity

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Thu Sep 8 01:02:36 UTC 2016

On 09/07/2016 01:39 AM, Dave Warren wrote:
> On 2016-09-06 11:29, Green Dream wrote:
>> The whole idea doesn't sit right with me.
>>
>> For one, I'm not sure I'd want any more Five Eyes entities running
>> Exit nodes. Most embassies are already a haven for espionage activity.
>> You'd pretty much have to assume they'd be sniffing the exit traffic.
>
> All the more reason to add a bunch of unrelated and unimportant traffic
> like a Tor exit node.
>
> If you only shred your Top Secret documents, every piece of shredded
> paper is potentially a secret to an interested party, but if you mix in
> tons of unrelated material, it adds a whole ton of noise.

Which is exactly why the research arm of the U.S. Navy, which invented
onion routing, didn't keep it to itself, but made it open source.

> For the same reason that libraries often stand up for our rights, I'd
> hope embassies would also consider using their resources and unique
> legal position to stand up for rights that "we" believe in.
>
> However, whether they do or not, is unknown to me.

This entire discussion has been a fascinating one. I've never even heard
of a consulate or an embassy running a relay, much less an exit node. A
case of the dog that did not bark in the night-time, perhaps?