[tor-relays] Tor and Diplomatic Immunity

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Tue Sep 6 03:47:41 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016, at 11:24, Kenneth Freeman wrote:

> On 09/04/2016 07:31 PM, Mirimir wrote:
> > On 09/04/2016 09:11 AM, Kenneth Freeman wrote:
> >> Do embassies and consulates run Tor nodes? AFAIK no studies have been
> >> done on this, but diplomatic immunity and Tor would seem to be a match
> >> made in Heaven.
> >
> > Well, they need uplinks, right? I doubt that diplomatic immunity forces
> > ISPs to serve them. Private routing is possible, of course, but is
> > probably too expensive for most.
>
> Whatever their budgetary considerations, embassies and consulates afford
> diplomatic safe spaces for Tor nodes.

At best, they provide a *legal* safe space, but it would only take an
embassy having their local internet access terminated once or twice
before they'd re-consider, absent any agreements which block service
providers from doing such. I'd be surprise if such exist, although, it's
certainly possible.

Assuming we're talking exit nodes, anyway.