[tor-relays] Tor bridge and obfs4proxy

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 02:18:14 UTC 2016

> On 5 Sep 2016, at 11:49, Arisbe <arisbe at cni.net> wrote:
>
> I need someone's bridge experience.  I had an HD crash and lost one of my Tor bridges.  So, I'm rebuilding on a leased VPS.  First I tried with Debian 8 and then with ubuntu 16.04 when Debian didn't work.  With both operating systems I get a warning message when I start Tor.  Tor is the latest version as is obfs4proxy:
>
> Sep 04 13:39:41.641 [warn] Strange ServerTransportPlugin type 'obfs4'
> Sep 04 13:39:41.641 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Invalid server transport line. See logs for details.
>
> There are no log entries.  Apparently Tor starts without the proxy.  I have configured torrc as follows:
>
> ServerTransportPlugin obfs3 obfs4 exec /usr/bin/obfs4proxy
>
> ExtORPort auto
>
> /usr/bin/ does contain the obfs4proxy file.
>
> Does anyone know my problem?  Is there a 'tell-all' explanation of obfs4proxy?

From the tor manual page:

ServerTransportPlugin transport exec path-to-binary [options]
           The Tor relay launches the pluggable transport proxy in
           path-to-binary using options as its command-line options, and
           expects to receive proxied client traffic from it.

You're only allowed one space-separated transport name for "transport", you have two: "obfs3" and "obfs4".

Tim