[tor-relays] Why can't I see more traffic? (is my banana too weak?)

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 01:50:10 UTC 2016

> On 4 Sep 2016, at 04:35, Farid Joubbi <joubbi at kth.se> wrote:
>
> It seems as if Cpu1 is almost idle most of the time.
> Cpu0 is somewhere between 5 and 20.
> This is a rather high snapshot:
>
> %Cpu0  : 17.2 us,  2.0 sy,  0.0 ni, 79.5 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  1.3 si,  0.0 st
> %Cpu1  :  2.4 us,  0.3 sy,  0.0 ni, 97.3 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
>
> I have had the guard flag before.
> Maybe I lost it since I rebooted twice and changed ISP a bit more than a week ago.
>
> The IP address does not change unless I reboot or release the current address manually
>
> I used to have 250Mbit/s downstream and 10Mbit/s up with my old ISP.
>
> How does the algorithm that checks the bandwidth work?

Your relay reports a bandwidth based on the amount of traffic it has sustained in any 10 second period over the past day.
You can also set a maximum advertised bandwidth on your relay. (Don't do this if you're trying to pick up more traffic.)
Five bandwidth authorities measure each relay each week, and report how fast it is.
Each of these factors can restrict the amount of bandwidth that the network assigns to your relay.

Here's one way of testing what your relay is capable of:

Run a Tor client as close to your relay as possible:
tor DataDirectory /tmp/tor.$$ SOCKSPort [IPv4:]10000 EntryNodes your-relay-name

Then download a large file using port 10000 as a socks proxy.

That will give you some idea of how much traffic your relay can sustain, but it's worth noting that each client is limited to about 1 Mbps (I think - I can't find the manual page entry).

Tim