[tor-relays] tor-relays Digest, Vol 68, Issue 12

jensm1 jensm1 at bbjh.de
Sun Sep 4 12:17:12 UTC 2016

Hi Daniel

One thing first: If you want to actively participate on this mailing
list on a regular basis, it would be best if you switched your
mailing-list-setting from digest to the actual mails (you can then
either configure your inbox to put everything containing [tor-relays]
into its own folder, or use a seperate email-address). This way, the
Subject-lines are preserved when you answer, so it's easier to group the
right messages together, automatically.

Regarding relay vs. exit:

Yes, there's a difference. I assume you're familiar with the basic
workings of Tor (otherwise, read
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#Torisdifferent and check out
https://www.eff.org/pages/tor-and-https).
An exit is a special kind of relay, as it is the one where your traffic
leaves the Tor network and gets sent to the actual destination. This
means that the destination sees the exit as the source of this traffic.
So when somebody sends bad or illegal traffic, e.g. a hacker or someone
downloading a movie, it looks like your exit is doing these things.
Depending on the competence of your local law enforcement agencies, this
could mean your computer (or all your computers in your home) might get
seized, and you'll be a suspect.
Therefore, it is not advisable to run an exit from home (since then
you'll get all your computers taken away), or put anything else on the
same server.
Also, lawyers will file abuse complaints against your exit, which you'll
have to deal with.

It's perfectly fine to simply run a "normal" relay (you'll then be the
middle hop), especially if you're running Tor on a system that's not
online 24/7.

Nice to see your relay is running now! Though I must admit that I have
no idea what these "connection speed" notices mean. Probably nothing
important, or they'd be warnings.