[tor-relays] tor-relays Digest, 3 questions on torcc file

Matt Traudt sirmatt at ksu.edu
Sat Sep 3 20:18:29 UTC 2016

Daniel Boone

I missed your SOCKS question.

If you do not intend to directly use this Tor instance to access the Tor
network, you should leave the SocksPort as it was. By default Tor only
listens on localhost:9050 (as the documentation indicates). Therefore,
even if you *do* intend to use this Tor instance to access the Tor
network, by default you can already point your applications towards
localhost:9050.

So in most cases, this option can be left alone so the default
configuration can do its thing. Either you won't use the SOCKS proxy and
it is harmlessly listening on localhost anyway, or you are like most
people and don't need it to listen on non-localhost non-9050. For either
case, the default behavior is fine.

Hope this helps.

Matt