[tor-relays] tor-relays Digest, 3 questions on torcc file

Matt Traudt sirmatt at ksu.edu
Sat Sep 3 20:12:44 UTC 2016

Daniel Boone

The answers to your questions depend on what you want to do.

> Log options

If you leave them all commented, by default you'll get 'Log notice file
/var/log/tor/log'. This is probably what you want unless you're
debugging some issue.

> ControlPort 9051

I'm **pretty sure** this is just for tools like arm. This should
probably not be forwarded at your router, as you'll probably just run
arm on the same machine as Tor.

Other people, please correct me if I'm wrong about ControlPort's purpose.

> RelayBandwidthRate, RelayBandwidthBurst

Only set this if you want to limit the bandwidth you advertise. Leave
them commented if you want Tor to use as much bandwidth as possible.

> Accounting

Only set these options if you can only transfer so much data in a given
time period. For example, some VPS providers may only give you 1 TB of
total upload/download bandwidth in a month. You would then use the
accounting options to make sure you do not go above that.

> Exit policy

Do you want to be an exit realy, or don't you? If you want to be an
exit, then set ExitRelay to 1 like it suggests, then use the ExitPolicy
options to set the rules you would like. This[1] is a good place to
start if you would like to be an exit but avoid as many abuse complaints
as possible.

If you do not want to be an exit relay, set ExitRelay to 0. For good
measure, also make the only ExitPolicy option equal to "reject *:*"

[1]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy

I hope this is helpful to you.

Matt