[tor-relays] Why can't I see more traffic? (is my banana too weak?)

Farid Joubbi joubbi at kth.se
Sat Sep 3 14:02:31 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have been running a middle relay for one year in a few days.

I would expect the relay to push more traffic than it does.

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/875F74A3DC14737BECA06F8B500022154D1A29D1

What is the reason for it not handling more traffic?

The Internet connection is 250 Mbit/s downstream and 100 Mbit/s upstream.

There is nothing else using this connection.

The "server" is a Banana Pro:

http://www.lemaker.org/product-bananapro-specification.html

The Banana is running Bananian Linux:

https://www.bananian.org/

I know that the Banana Pro is not that powerful, but still I think that it is able to handle more traffic than it seems to do.

According to top the CPU hovers around 10-20% most of the time.

I have also been running nload and tload in order to see the load over a longer time.

Does anyone have an idea of why I'm not seeing more traffic?

Could it be that it is due to the quite slow hardware, even though I know that it is able to push more traffic?

What kind of relay speeds can you expect from a  Raspberry Pi for example?

Thanks.