[tor-relays] Useful metrics for relay operators

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Thu Sep 1 21:33:02 UTC 2016

On 9/1/2016 12:18 PM, patacca wrote:
[SNIP]

> I would find very useful a mail notification when the ed25519 key's
> expiration date is near and the OfflineMasterKey is enabled.
> Also if the expiry information could be shown on atlas that would be nice.

The expiration date of the temporary ed25519 signing key is included in
the server's descriptor afaik, but there's no way to know if a relay has
OfflineMasterKey enabled or not. We could add this extra info but I
would disagree since this will advertise which relays have this enabled
and which not.

The system is designed in a way that you should not use OfflineMasterKey
if you want to leave your relay unattended or don't have time to renew
keys. A simple script installed on the relay and executed by a cronjob
can determine the expiration date of the ed25519 signing key and send an
email when there's less than X minutes/days remaining. I don't think
this should be a network wide default.