[tor-relays] LLC vis-à-vis Nonprofit

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Thu Oct 27 23:17:10 UTC 2016

On 10/26/2016 06:58 PM, Nicholas Merrill wrote:

> Hi Kenneth
>
> I am with a New York state non-profit organization that runs a number of
> exits.  I am not a lawyer, but I have surely spent years discussing
> these and other related issues with many lawyers.

Good to know. Keeps me and my cohorts from reinventing the wheel.

> I could be wrong, but I think LLC was only mentioned as an example of a
> type of legal entity in that article.  It's not that you couldn't use a
> classic "C corporation" just the same.   The central point was to have a
> separate legal entity - a corporation ( even an incorporated association
> or club might work.)  A non-profit is generally formed as a corporation
> anyway.

I figured as much, on both counts, but I wanted to nail it down. That a
Tor exit node is best run under the aegis of some sort of corporate
set-up is a given; *which* set-up doesn't particularly matter. Is this a
fair assessment?

> So probably that Idaho nonprofit would be fine.  I'd be happy to talk to
> them if it's helpful, and/or provide referrals to others.

Much appreciated! Come to think of it, there's another nonprofit venue
with which I am involved which may be suitable for Tor. Stay tuned.