[tor-relays] LLC vis-à-vis Nonprofit

Nicholas Merrill nick at calyx.com
Thu Oct 27 00:58:07 UTC 2016

On 10/26/16 8:22 PM, Kenneth Freeman wrote:
> An Idaho nonprofit has expressed guarded interest in Tor. Ideally I'd
> like them to run an exit node without fuss or bother, but the Tor
> Project's Tips on Running an Exit Node only covers limited liability
> corporations (LLCs) regarding the legal/corporate set-up. Is there
> anything to add, or is that sufficient? Thanks in advance.

Hi Kenneth

I am with a New York state non-profit organization that runs a number of
exits.  I am not a lawyer, but I have surely spent years discussing
these and other related issues with many lawyers.

I could be wrong, but I think LLC was only mentioned as an example of a
type of legal entity in that article.  It's not that you couldn't use a
classic "C corporation" just the same.   The central point was to have a
separate legal entity - a corporation ( even an incorporated association
or club might work.)  A non-profit is generally formed as a corporation
anyway.

So probably that Idaho nonprofit would be fine.  I'd be happy to talk to
them if it's helpful, and/or provide referrals to others.

best,
Nick

--
 Nicholas Merrill