[tor-relays] Rampup speed of Exit relay

D.S. Ljungmark ljungmark at modio.se
Tue Oct 25 11:26:25 UTC 2016

So, Now I've taken some steps to adjust the state of the relay, and
try to balance this.

To reiterate a point previously,  before I start adding more tor
daemons or servers to this, I want to know how to scale and optimise
what is already there.

- Set up unbound in cache mode rather than use our local network unbound
- Disabled on machine firewall (stateful)
- Ensured AES acceleration worked
- Boosted amount of open files allowed even more
- Stopped doing regular reboots and only reboot on kernel change
- Bound Tor to a single core

The exit is till this one:
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/5989521A85C94EE101E88B8DB2E68321673F9405

CPU utilization of a single core on  the machine never goes > 22%

Thus while it may be CPU bound, it's never maximising the CPU usage.

CPU and network are still scaling together with each other.

Load ( not cpu usage)  is fairly stable and load1 hasn't gone > 0.2

It's holding between 5k and 16k sockets in use, and ~3.5k sockets in
TIME_WAIT state.   (Fairly high amount?)

So far, I'm not sure _why_  it's capping itself on bandwidth, and
that's the one thing that I want to figure out before I start scaling
out horizontally.