[tor-relays] Smallest, cheapest, lightest computer for tor relay

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Mon Oct 17 12:18:51 UTC 2016

 >Yes it does make a real big difference. Get the Pi 3, the 1st Pi is
an order of magnitude slower.

If you don't want to spend your money on a RPI 3, you can also look at
a used RPI 2.

If you are willing to have a computer that is a bit larger, you can
also use a smaller desktop PC, like a Mac Mini, or a SFF Dell or HP.

I have a Raspberry Pi 2, but use a homebuilt Pentium 4 desktop on a
60/25 cable connection (Optimum Online), and a Dell Optiplex 755 (Core
2 Duo) on a 50/50 FTTH connection (Verizon FiOS). I don't use the RPI
because I want my Tor nodes to use FreeBSD instead of Linux, and am not
sure if RPI has the best FreeBSD support (I'm even a FreeBSD
contributor, but my laptop which I typed this from unfortunately runs
Arch).

The disadvantage of the PC approach is space and higher power
consumption, but the advantage is that you can use *BSD and Windows,
and can possibly take advantage of faster speeds. But if you are fine
with Linux, and, the RPI 2/3 is a good choice. There are also other SBC
computers like the BeagleBone. SBC computers are great if they have
ADSL/Cable, but if they have fiber to the home (Verizon FiOS, Google
Fiber, etc.), a used desktop (or a higher end SBC) may be better (in my
opinion) as they usually have a faster upstream and a desktop may take
better advantage of the speed.

My atlas entries are below (for the two nodes from my two homes, not my
exits):

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/AED76373324653A0522DF30550BA31902B2CFA44
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/D5B8C38539C509380767D4DE20DE84CF84EE8299

Thanks,