[tor-relays] Smallest, cheapest, lightest computer for tor relay

Farid Joubbi joubbi at kth.se
Sun Oct 16 20:37:51 UTC 2016

A raspberry will do fine as long as you do not expect huge speeds.

The CPU is not capable of pushing data very fast.

Expect somewhere around 0,5 Mbyte/s (4 Mbit/s).

If you go smaller and cheaper you will not reach even that speed.

So it depends on what kind of speeds you are after.

A relay does not need a lot of attention. Just make sure that you update the OS and Tor every now and then.

There are plenty of guides on how to do it which can be found by googling.

This is a good example which has a link to Atlas with some relays running on Rpi:

https://github.com/DFRI/dfri-rpi-tor