[tor-relays] relay lost most of its consensus weight

Tor User toruser at lvwnet.com
Fri Oct 14 11:23:51 UTC 2016

I apologize for what is probably bad form in replying to an older thread
that has sort of fallen off, but I've been trying to figure out why I
just can't seem to get any consensus weight on our middle relay
(ByTORAndTheSnowDog).

We moved in May to another city and have a different internet provider
now.  We had gigabit symmetrical internet at the last place and I *get*
that a drop in bandwidth and consensus should be expected, but our
internet bandwidth here is not that bad. 300mbit down/20mbit up.

Consensus weight is mostly a function of your upstream bandwidth,
right?  Do the bandwidth auth testers ever "get it wrong"?  I'm not sure
where to look to see what kind of bandwidth is being measured from us.
It seems unlikely however that we are only able to push out the paltry
rates I see in our atlas entries.

These are the rate limiting-related settings I'm running in torrc:

RelayBandwidthRate 2300 KB
RelayBandwidthBurst 2500 KB

BandwidthRate 2300 KB
BandwidthBurst 2500 KB

Not using any MaxAdvertisedBandwidth settings anymore -- I commented
them out a week or so ago at last restart after reading that you
shouldn't set these if you are looking to get more traffic.

The most likely explanation is, we just don't have the upstream
bandwidth we think we do.  But I consistently get speedtest.net upstream
tests above 20 megabits/sec to different speedtest sites around eastern
US "hubs" (atlanta, virginia, ie, places that have bandwidth).  So I
don't understand.

Thanks