[tor-relays] RPi Relay Maximum Speed

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Wed Oct 12 05:55:01 UTC 2016

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 07:18:56 +0200
Manny <felich at posteo.de> wrote:

> I have a 1gbit symmetric connection at home and would like to donate
> 100mbit with my raspberry pi 3 model b. Since it has a 100mbit Network
> Interface, I'm limited to that anyways.
>
> What Settings do I Need in my torcc to get the Maximum Speed? At the
> Moment I entered 12 Mbytes - which Shows up at 96 mb/s in Arm - is that
> correct and my understanding of things is just the opposite?
> Max Speed, I think, should be 12.7mb/s for a 100mbit Connection?

mb is not a thing that exists;
Mb is megabits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabit
MB is megabytes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte

What you entered in torrc is currently correct. But since your board has a 100
Mbit interface anyway, it would be better if you just omit the bandwidth limit
line entirely.

Also, actually hit anything remotely close to 100 Mbit, you'll absolutely have
to run two instances of Tor. The Raspberry Pi 3 has 4 CPU cores, but each core
on its own is not very fast. One copy of Tor only uses about 1 to 1.3 cores,
so to fully utilize your hardware you need more than one. Ideally you'd set up
four, but the Tor network will only accept two running from the same IPv4
address. It appears that these days there's a built-in script for that, see
"man tor-instance-create".

--
With respect,
Roman