[tor-relays] 'No space left on device' glitch causing log failure

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Oct 10 17:32:41 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 03:15:46PM +0100, Geoff Down wrote:
> Hi all,
>  these are the last entries in my log, but my bridge is still listed on
>  Atlas and client functionality is fine. Latest stable version on
>  OSX10.4.
> Needless to say, the disk is not full and 'tor' can write to that
> directory just fine now.

Yes, once Tor has failed to write to its log file, that file descriptor
is essentially broken until you instruct Tor to try again. If you send
Tor a HUP signal, it will reset a bunch of things, including its logs.

I would assume that it really did run out of space, if only for that
moment.

That said, OSX10.4 is Tiger, right? The one that became unsupported
over seven years ago? (But let's not make this thread about whether it's
morally appropriate to run obsolete OSes -- except to acknowledge that
maybe it has bugs in it.)

--Roger