[tor-relays] Politically correct?

Christian Pietsch christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de
Fri Oct 7 21:39:33 UTC 2016

Dear operator of "NewTorKidOnTheBlock",

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 10:25:31PM +0200, torserver at datakanja.de wrote:
> From the information, i can gather on my own personal computer, i can
> see, that almost every operating system sends out greetings to servers
> in akamai's reach, a company that happens to have contracts with
> microsoft and whatnot.

I share your concern over the current trend with commercial website
creators to include lots of content from third party websites. Anyone
who has seen a visualization like LightBeam
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/lightbeam/> will understand you –
whatever websites you visit, many of them will include content from a
handful of CDNs such as Akamai and other trackers.

> If not, i am seriously reconsidering the futile attempt to engage into
> offering something to the net, that could lead to unveiling users
> activities opposed to what tor seems to promise.

A false sense of security can be very dangerous indeed. However, I
would not throw out the baby with the bathwater. TorBrowser is more
sophisticated than you think. For each domain you visit, it creates a
different circuit.  This means that not only will each of the domains
you visit see a different source IP, but in each case, Akamai (etc.)
will see a different source IP as well. Of course, a dedicated
attacker could still try to identify your browser by employing
fingerprinting techniques, but TorBrowser tries to minimize these
dangers, too.

So I tend to agree with Green Dream and Ed Snowden on this matter.

Cheers,
C:

--
  Christian Pietsch · volunteering for
  Digitalcourage e.V., Marktstr. 18, D-33602 Bielefeld, Germany
  Tel: +49-521-1639 1639 | Fax: +49-521-61172 | mail at digitalcourage.de
  https://digitalcourage.de | https://bigbrotherawards.de

Vorratsdatenspeicherung? Nicht schon wieder! Unterstützen Sie
unsere Verfassungsbeschwerde: https://digitalcourage.de/weg-mit-vds