[tor-relays] tor relay and syslog logging

Dr. Who drwho at posteo.is
Fri Oct 7 07:46:54 UTC 2016

I'm trying to log locally (notice.log) and to a local syslog-ng server.

It doesn't seem to work. I get no messages at all to my local syslog
server. When I try to log some testlines manually (even as the tor
system user) it seems to work.

As I understood the configuration I can have multiple "Log " lines
without problem, right?

A test like:
     logger -p daemon.notice -t tortest Testing
generates the expected lines in /var/log/messages

What facility is used by tor when logging to syslog? I didn't find that
information.

System is a standard current debian 8.6 with tor Tor 0.2.8.8
(git-8d8a099454d994bd), the two Log-Lines are:

Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log
Log notice syslog

Any idea what might be missing?