[tor-relays] Intrusion Prevention System Software - Snort or Suricata

Ralph Seichter tor-relays-ml at horus-it.de
Thu Oct 6 11:39:10 UTC 2016

On 06.10.16 12:57, oconor at email.cz wrote:

> You probably will invest your time, but the ISP won't. The amount of
> the problems is multiplying. Tor should evolve, or it will extinct
> like dinosaurs.

I don't think that Tor has a problem. It works as designed. One might
say that service providers have a problem dealing with Tor, because of
the effort involved, or that complaining parties have a problem with
Tor, because they don't understand or care that a Tor exit is not the
real source of "bad traffic", or that they can block Tor based traffic
by using the already existing information provided by the Tor project
(see https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq-abuse.html.en#Bans).

Pointing fingers is not going to help, and neither is implementing
automated self-censorship on Tor exits. If somebody wants me to block
his destination IP on my Tor exit nodes, he'll have to explicitly tell
me so, and explain why he's not blocking my exit nodes instead.

-Ralph