[tor-relays] Dealing with OVH Abuse Complaints

Patrick DERWAEL patrick at derwael.be
Wed Oct 5 12:38:18 UTC 2016

Hi,

I was considering moving my relay to OVH and asked them about their policies
The answer is that Tor is tolerated on physical servers, but strictly
forbidden on VPS
And BTW, their support is indeed terrible...

So, if someone could recommend a Tor friendly ISP in Belgium, I would be
pretty much interested!

Cheers

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 18:55:26 +1100
> teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have experience running a long-lived Exit on OVH / So You
> Start?
> >
> > We've just received a threat to shut down our OVH Exit due to abuse
> complaints.
> > We were responding to these automated reports (mainly SSH brute force)
> with template responses, offering to block the destination IP and port if
> the remote site wanted us to. We never received a reply.
> >
> > What does OVH expect its Exit operators to do with complaints?
> > Should we have blocked each complaining IP address as soon as we
> received a complaint?
>
> https://www.soyoustart.com/fr/documents_legaux/Conditions_
> particulieres_serveur_SoyouStart.pdf
>
> 6.4 Pour des raisons de sécurité, OVH se réserve la
> possibilité de procéder à la suspension immédiate et sans
> préavis de tout Serveur sur lequel serait proposé à titre
> gracieux ou onéreux, un service ouvert au public de Proxy,
> IRC, VPN, TOR, pour lequel OVH aurait connaissance
> d'une utilisation malveillante, frauduleuse ou illicite.
> ---
> 6.4 For security reasons, OVH reserves the
> chance to make the immediate suspension without
> notice of any server on which would be proposed as
> or without charge, a service open to the public Proxy,
> IRC, VPN, TOR, for which OVH has knowledge
> a malicious, fraudulent or illegal.
> ---
>
> Some take this as "OVH doesn't allow Tor", I take this as "don't run exits
> there".
>
> --
> With respect,
> Roman