[tor-relays] Assigning new IP adrees to current relay

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Nov 28 21:41:43 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 08:31:39PM +0000, Sec INT wrote:
> - this did seem to work and tor detectedthe new address and started to use it but then I got a number of warnings like
> 'Remote server sent bogus reason code'
>
> The relay does seem to be working but with these errors im not sure

Those warnings are scary-sounding but not dangerous:

> - is the method above how you should assign a particular IP address to a Tor relay?

It depends what you're trying to do. If your server has one primary IP
address but you want to be running your Tor relay on a different one,
then you probably want to set both Address and OutboundBindAddress. You
may also wish to specify an IP address in your ORPort line, to bind your
listeners to one or some but not all of your IP addresses -- but if you
don't care there's no need to do that.

--Roger