[tor-relays] is it possible to relay using ipv6?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 23:01:03 UTC 2016

(I've rearranged your threads for clarity, please bottom-post in future.)

>> On Nov 27, 2016 11:59 AM, "root" <tor at afo-tm.org <mailto:tor at afo-tm.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    It is end 2016 we should change from must have IPv4 to must have
>>    IPv6 and can have IPv4.

When the proportion of Tor relays with IPv6 is above 60%, dual stack by
default on clients is a feasible option.

When the proportion exceeds 85% (the cube root of 60%), a switch may
become plausible.

The proportion of Tor relays with IPv6 is currently at 17% of
bandwidth.

You can help make Tor relays on IPv6-only possible by:
* running more Tor relays on dual-stack IPv4/IPv6, and
* running an IPv6-only Tor bridge, and
* testing the existing IPv6 client code.

(And writing patches that improve Tor's IPv6 support.)

>> All this new fancy ISPs that have FTTH and
>>    give you 500 MBit/s symmetric internet access have Carrier grade
>>    NAT because they were late to the Party and don't get IPv4 from
>>    the LIRs.
>>    You can't run there a relay because of the stupid you need a
>>    public accessible IPv4 address shit.

You can run a high-bandwidth IPv6-only bridge relay.
This really helps censored users on IPv6-only networks (or on networks
where IPv6 is less filtered).

>> So i see there a big gain in
>>    making that change, because then the guys with the big home pipes
>>    can run relays too. On the other hand datacenters that have only
>>    IPv4 are very uncommon, so there would be no big loss of relays.

AWS does not offer IPv6.
Many other services are the same, regardless of whether their AS has an
IPv6 allocation.

>>    Clients that are IPv4 only can use Dual-Stack relays so they won't
>>    have a problem.

No, they can't, there's no automatic IP version selection
("happy eyeballs") in Tor's dual stack code. And if there were, it could
not be turned on by default, because the proportion of relays with IPv6
is too low.

(We would, however, accept a patch that automatically selected IPv4 or
IPv6 when specifically configured by the user.)

> On 28 Nov. 2016, at 06:41, root <tor at afo-tm.org> wrote:
>
> I can't find any ISP in the Consensus that doesn't have IPv6 and more than 0,1% Consensus Weight, also

How did you arrive at this figure?
Can you publish the script somewhere?
While I agree most ASs have IPv6, they don't always offer it to users.

And while it's necessary that the AS has IPv6, it's not sufficient: the
relay operator needs to configure IPv6, both on the relay's network
interfaces, and in their torrc:

ORPort [IPv6]:Port

If IPv6 penetration among Tor relay ISPs/ASs is as high as you say, why
do only:

7.6% (541/7145) of relays have an IPv6 OR address
17.3% (7972687/45960632) of relay bandwidth has an IPv6 OR address

With IPv6 relay bandwidth this low, we can't even have clients try IPv6
by default - there are too few relays to meet Tor's existing 60% path
threshold in get_frac_paths_needed_for_circs().

So should Tor autoconfigure IPv6 on relays?

How do we deal with relays which have an IPv6 address that doesn't
work?
* Relays should self-test their IPv6 ORPort, but there's a race
  condition here:
  * if relays only publish their IPv6 ORPort after testing it, they
    can flip between having and not having an IPv6 address in their
    descriptor. This is bad for descriptor stability.
* If relays don't self-test their IPv6 ORPort, authorities will exclude
  them from the consensus if it turns out to be unreachable. This is a
  more significant issue if Tor autoconfigures IPv6

There are similar issues when clients build paths in a mixed IPv4/IPv6
network.

Source for the IPv6 figures:

import stem.descriptor.remote
consensus = stem.descriptor.remote.get_consensus()
ipv6_count = ipv6_bw = total_count = total_bw = 0
for relay in consensus:
  has_ipv6 = False
  for address in relay.or_addresses:
    (_, _, address_is_ipv6) = address
    if address_is_ipv6:
      has_ipv6 = True
  if has_ipv6:
    ipv6_count += 1
    ipv6_bw += relay.bandwidth
  total_count += 1
  total_bw += relay.bandwidth
print("%.1f%% (%d/%d) of relays have an IPv6 OR address" %
      (ipv6_count*100.0/total_count, ipv6_count, total_count))
print("%.1f%% (%d/%d) of relay bandwidth has an IPv6 OR address" %
      (ipv6_bw*100.0/total_bw, ipv6_bw, total_bw))

> one Relay at a FTTH ISP that offer 200+ MBit/s symmetric and only public IPv6 would gain more Consensus Weight than all Relays we would have lost due to that change together.

I think you're confusing ASs with IPv6 allocations and relays with
configured IPv6. They're very different things. And there's no guarantee
that a single home relay would push 75Mbps actual traffic. And there are
relay diversity issues to consider.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n