[tor-relays] Vodafone Italia blocking traffic from IPs that belong to Tor relays

fr33d0m4all fr33d0m4all at riseup.net
Sat Nov 26 20:54:00 UTC 2016

Hi,
I just want to share my recent time experience with Vodafone Italia
(mobile carrier). Some days ago, for the first time, I was surfing
Vodafone.it site from my home network where I run a Tor non-exit relay,
and when I surfed "https://ricarica.vodafone.it/" I've got the following
error page:

Access denied (403)

Active policy for this site prohibits access from TOR Network.

For further information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Contact us: support+vodafone at reblaze.com

For a reference, please provide the following paragraph:

[MyIPAddress]://vodafone-rbzr2313438303139323634335aee0f47488438e0
[1480192643]

I wrote to reblaze.com, I've explained that I'm running a non-exit relay
and that even if Vodafone is saying that traffic from Tor (they say TOR
-__- ) Network, no traffic from Tor network can reach the public network
(and so their site) from my own relay. This was my email:

    Hi,
    today I've received the attached error when trying to pay on
    Vodafone Italia site and I want to point out that it is a false
    positive.

    The error is "Active policy for this site prohibits access from Tor
    Network." and I was surfing the web directly from my public IP
    address X.X.X.X. As you can see on ExoneraTor this IP address
    also hosts a Tor <<middle>> relay:
    https://exonerator.torproject.org/?ip=X.X.X.X&timestamp=2016-11-24

    If you gave a close look to that Tor Relay, you can see that it is
    DEFINITELY NOT A TOR EXIT RELAY, so you/Vodafone can't receive any
    traffic from Tor Network from my relay, since it is only a transit
    Tor relay:

    https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/xxxxxxx

    (Exit policy is reject, so it is not an Exit relay).

    So, I understand that you want to block sessions coming from Tor
    network, but you should definitely get a list of Tor exit relays
    only, not the full list of Tor relays that includes Tor relays that
    will NEVER send traffic from Tor network to public network.

    I'd like to understand why you're blocking sessions coming from an
    IP address that hosts a non-exit relay.

And this is their reply:

    Hi
    currently this web site policy is to block any IP that is
    identified as TOR Relay:

    "Looking up IP address X.X.X.X on or within one day of 2016-11-24.
    Tor clients could have selected this or these Tor relays to build
    circuits." we are not checking the "Reject Policy"

    we will check the issue with the web site administrators

    Thanks

       Reblaze Support .

I think I won't receive any further info from Vodafone, BTW if they
reply, I'll share their answer with you.

Have a nice weekend,
   Fr33d0m4all