[tor-relays] is it possible to relay using ipv6?

Ralph Seichter tor-relays-ml at horus-it.de
Tue Nov 22 15:54:17 UTC 2016

On 22.11.16 03:33, teor wrote:

> > Netstat shows that Tor binds to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
>
> Do you have an ORPort with an IPv6 address in your torrc?

Yes, for every IPv6-capable Tor node (one ISP I currently still work
with unfortunately does not yet offer IPv6 support).

> Does your relay's descriptor advertise a globally routable IPv6
> ORPort address?

Yes. Atlas shows both IPv4 and IPv6 as "OR Addresses".

> > ClientPreferIPv6DirPort 1
>
> This option was introduced and deprecated in the 0.2.8 alpha series,
> it has no effect.

That's unexpected. https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en
still lists this option. I went through this manual page for anything
IPv6-related I could find.

> Here is the tor-dev thread with the details:
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-October/011597.html

I will look into it, thanks.

-Ralph