[tor-relays] is it possible to relay using ipv6?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 12:30:02 UTC 2016

> On 21 Nov. 2016, at 23:09, Flavio Leitner <fbl at sysclose.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure a relay for the first time but I am
> behind a cgnat for IPv4.

Sorry, Tor relays need an IPv4 address to join the network.

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2015-November/008093.html

> I have a public and open IPv6 though.
> However, ORPort doesn't accept [ipv6]:443

Do you see this warning?

[warn] Configured non-bridge only to listen on an IPv6 address.

You could try setting up an IPv6-only bridge.

> and it doesn't
> automatically bind to :::443 either.

If a relay doesn't know its IPv6 address, it can't tell the rest of the
Tor network. So there's no point binding to all IPv6 addresses.

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2016-November/010938.html

> This is running LEDE tor 0.2.8.9-1.
>
> I couldn't find if worth to run over IPv6 or not.

No, IPv6-only relays won't work.
Tor relays need to be able to connect to every other relay, and (at
least for the foreseeable future) all relays have an IPv4 address.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org