[tor-relays] DoS from my tor guard VPS

Arisbe arisbe at cni.net
Tue Nov 15 20:41:09 UTC 2016

One of my tor guard relays is a medium size VPS operating in the Czech
Republic.  It's been up and stable for several years.  Several weeks ago
I was notified that my VPS was a source of UDP DoS traffic.  It was shut
down.  Logs showed no intrusions.

I installed a different instance of linux, changed my SSH port, added
fail2ban and even installed clamav.  I did not make changes to the tor
exit policy.  Then, this week I received the following:

"Hello,
surveillance system detected a disproportionate outgoing DoS traffic on
your VPS torexitcz and then our network under a DDoS attack. Your server
torexitcz has been stopped. This is another problem with your VPS. Your
service will be terminated.
Thanks for understanding."

Can anyone offer an opinion as to how my relay was used for DoS? How can
I avoid this in the future?  My goal, as always is to provide stable
nodes to the tor network while protecting myself and my VPS supplier.

4061C553CA88021B8302F0814365070AAE617270
185.100.85.101