[tor-relays] torworld relays in entry and exit position

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Sun Nov 13 18:34:00 UTC 2016

> Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'll go a head, and do
> proper research and add the MyFamily tags to all nodes. If you'd like
> to give us an example copy to go off of that would be much
> appreciated. If responding by email is too slow you're more than
> welcomed to join our Slack team, and discuss this further in their.
> https://slack.torworld.org
>
> Again thank you for reaching out to us.

The MyFamily torrc setting is just a single line listing all your relay
fingerprints. This setting tells tor clients "these are my relays: ...
don't use more than one of my relays in any single circuit".
This is particularly relevant if the entry _and_ exit probability of
your group of relays is > 0% and your relays are spread across more than
a single /16 network.

Atlas.torproject.org can help you verify that the configuration is set
up correctly (effective family has to list all your relays).

If you expect to add/remove relays or adjust exit policies in the future
on a more or less regular basis, I would suggest you use
a configuration management like ansible or puppet to manage your relays
- for your own convenience.

I'm maintaining an ansible role to help tor relay operators manage
MyFamily automatically - no more manual hassle
(in addition to configure them using security features like
'OfflineMasterKey').
https://github.com/nusenu/ansible-relayor

If you have any further questions - just let us know.

regarding your slack group:
I prefer to discuss this on the tor-relays mailing list instead of
creating yet another place to discuss these topics.