[tor-relays] Questions regarding arm on Debian

Dennis Christ lists at ollic.de
Sun Nov 13 13:20:08 UTC 2016

> This sounds bad too. In fact, it sounds like one of those "you broke
> the package, and now you get to keep both pieces" situations. :)
>
> I believe that the Tor deb, including the one intended for jessie,
> should work with systemd well:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/tor.git/tree/debian/changelog?id=debian-tor-0.2.8.9-1
> Am I mistaken?
>
> That said, be sure you're using a recent Tor deb:
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian
> and not the ancient Tor 0.2.5.x in vanilla jessie.
>
> --Roger
I removed the jessie tor package now and installed the version from the
torproject repo which is 0.2.8.9.
There was alot of things done regarding systemd in that new version it
seems. They added sd-notify and
a service file for instantiated services. I am using tor at default.service
and everything works now.

So it propably was my own service file which did not all the things
needed to set up tor for startup.
For example this ExecStartPre command: /usr/bin/install -Z -m 02755 -o
debian-tor -g debian-tor -d /var/run/tor
and also starting tor with parameter --defaults-torrc
/usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc.

Thanks everybody