[tor-relays] Tor Fails to Start on Ubuntu 16.04

heartsucker heartsucker at autistici.org
Sun Nov 13 01:17:14 UTC 2016

Hey everyone

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 that is unable to start Tor.

Some useful output:

root at tor-1 ~ # uname -a
Linux tor-1 4.4.0-47-generic #68-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 26 19:39:52 UTC 2016
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root at tor-1 ~ # apt-cache policy tor
tor:
  Installed: 0.2.8.9-1~xenial+1
  Candidate: 0.2.8.9-1~xenial+1
  Version table:
 *** 0.2.8.9-1~xenial+1 500
        500 http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org xenial/main amd64
Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root at tor-1 ~ # journalctl -u tor
Nov 13 00:52:39 tor-1 systemd[1]: Starting Anonymizing overlay network
for TCP (multi-instance-master)...
Nov 13 00:52:39 tor-1 systemd[1]: Started Anonymizing overlay network
for TCP (multi-instance-master).
<and then nothing else as it hangs>

Tor fails to get beyond this message for any config I have tried
(including the default). I tried replacing the systemd unit file with
one of my own and was able to start Tor, however it would crash every 5
minutes (though the logs. The commands used in the systemd file and the
command init.d script are both able to start Tor correctly if I run them
in a TTY as I can see from a second terminal.

Is anyone else running Tor on Xenial, and if so, have they run into this
problem?

-h