[tor-relays] Questions regarding arm on Debian

diffusae punasipuli at t-online.de
Sat Nov 12 16:39:30 UTC 2016

Hi!

On 12.11.2016 12:40, Dennis Christ wrote:
> Yes that is what i tried to do. But it does not work in my case.
>
> $ arm
> [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/tor/control_auth_cookie'

That is a bit odd. I don't have '/var/lib/tor/control_auth_cookie'
It resides in /var/run/tor/control.authcookie

-rw-r----- 1 debian-tor debian-tor 32 /var/run/tor/control.authcookie

So read access should be possible.

If I remove this file, I also get [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/var/run/tor/control.authcookie'

Does your user have read access to /var/run/tor?

Which version of arm you are using?

I use arm version 1.4.5.0 (released April 28, 2012)

> Am 12.11.2016 um 10:33 schrieb Louie Cardone-Noott:

>> The alternative of running as the debian-tor user is a 'bad idea', see
>> [2] from last July

I didn't know this also, but is it really a big security issue unless
you don't trust the running arm binary? I am only asking, because if you
run it as user in the debian-tor group, you don't have full access to
the control port, so the connections page will be empty.

[ARM_NOTICE] Unable to query connections with lsof, trying ss
[ARM_NOTICE] Unable to query connections with sockstat, trying lsof
[ARM_NOTICE] Unable to query connections with netstat, trying sockstat
[ARM_NOTICE] Unable to query connections with proc, trying netstat

Maybe I did something wrong?

Regards,