[tor-relays] Questions regarding arm on Debian

diffusae punasipuli at t-online.de
Thu Nov 10 19:39:49 UTC 2016

Hi!

On 10.11.2016 19:27, Dennis Christ wrote:

> 1. Issue: Seeing Connections

Im not sure, but I've only copied the default armrc to
/var/lib/tor/.arm/ and set the proper permissions.

As I see, there is no /usr/share/doc/arm/armrc.sample. I've fetched it
from here: https://www.atagar.com/arm/. If your are using arm with
another user, armrc should be in your home directory.

> Tor runs on Debian as user 'debian-tor' with no shell, so i cant just do
> 'sudo -u <tor user> arm' even if sudo was installed on the server. But i
> added my user to the debian-tor group. On a side note i never could get
> the CookieAuthentication working either. Seems to be permission issues
> with the default installation. Does somebody else have this issues on
> Debian?

You don't need a shell for the debian-tor user. CookieAuthentication
should work, if you set CookieAuthentication 1 in /etc/tor/torrc and are
using an armrc file.

> 2. Issue: It always says this message in the arm logs even if the
> service is just started a moment ago. If i reload the config it says the
> same thing shortly after.

Yes, that looks like some Debian issue. I've seen the same message with
"RunAsDaemon", which is the default value. But that doesn't hurt. I just
ignore this message.

> 3. Issue: I dont understand this message. Nickname is edited by me so it
> does not match its default value. Also why is it unneeded?

Try to have a look into /etc/default/tor and
/usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc, there should be some relevant
settings.

Hopefully it helps.

Regards,