[tor-relays] Questions regarding arm on Debian

Dennis Christ lists at ollic.de
Thu Nov 10 18:27:37 UTC 2016

Hi,

i have installed a new relay on Debian 8 and playing around with the arm
tool.

1. Issue: Seeing Connections

I have added 'DisableDebuggerAttachment 0' to the config file as
suggested and now i get this:

17:20:09 [ARM_NOTICE] We were unable to use any of your system's
resolvers to get tor's connections. This is fine, but means that the
connect-
    ions page will be empty. This is usually permissions related so if
you would like to fix this then run arm with the same user as tor (ie,
    "sudo -u <tor user> arm").
  17:19:54 [ARM_NOTICE] Unable to query connections with lsof, trying ss
  17:19:39 [ARM_NOTICE] Unable to query connections with sockstat,
trying lsof
  17:19:24 [ARM_NOTICE] Unable to query connections with netstat, trying
sockstat
  17:19:09 [ARM_NOTICE] Unable to query connections with proc, trying
netstat

Tor runs on Debian as user 'debian-tor' with no shell, so i cant just do
'sudo -u <tor user> arm' even if sudo was installed on the server. But i
added my user to the debian-tor group. On a side note i never could get
the CookieAuthentication working either. Seems to be permission issues
with the default installation. Does somebody else have this issues on
Debian?

2. Issue: It always says this message in the arm logs even if the
service is just started a moment ago. If i reload the config it says the
same thing shortly after.

17:18:59 [ARM_WARN] The torrc differs from what tor's using. You can
issue a sighup to reload the torrc values by pressing x.
    - torrc values differ on lines: 118, 127

3. Issue: I dont understand this message. Nickname is edited by me so it
does not match its default value. Also why is it unneeded?

  17:18:59 [ARM_NOTICE] Unneeded torrc entries found. They've been
highlighted in blue on the torrc page.
    - entry matches its default value: Nickname (line 117)