[tor-relays] Automatic IPv6 address detection in Tor

diffusae punasipuli at t-online.de
Wed Nov 9 23:12:04 UTC 2016

Hi!

Thanks a lot for you reply.

On 08.11.2016 22:56, teor wrote:

> No, that's a ticket related to private IPv6 addresses on test networks.

Yes, I used the wrong URL.

> You want this one, which is not fixed:

Maybe it will be fixed or something in this direction.

> Address autodetection is error-prone.

That sounds logical. Also, if you have configured IPv6 privacy extensions.

> IPv4 address autodetection is the source of many accidental
> misconfigurations by relay operators.

Especially, if you are behind a CGN and your ISP DNS returns an private
IPv4 address.

> better for operators to select a routable IPv6 address.

That's the way I've configured it in the past.

> It probably is best to avoid configuring IPv6, or get a better ISP.

It depends. If you only have the choice between cable or xDSL networks.
I would be happy, if I could get a Gigabit connection for an affordable
price to spend more bandwidth. But the EU is sometimes like an
underdeveloped country. They call it: "Connecting Europe" or Digital
Single Market (DAE 2020).

> (There's no reason for an ISP to change prefixes for IPv6, they should
> have plenty of address space. Sounds like they're treating it just
> like IPv4.)

Hmm, I've called some technicians of the ISP, they said, that they have
disabled IPv6 in some of there modems, because of issues. And it's a
relative new thing. My answer was, that the RFC 2460 exists since 1998.
That's a really innovation.

Regards,