[tor-relays] Tor relay balks with "router_pick_published_address(): Success: chose address x.x.x.x"

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:10:53 UTC 2016

> On 9 Nov. 2016, at 09:00, Tobias Sachs <tobias at tobiassachs.de> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> my Tor relay
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/B567E8E39641F61091C1F2CAAAF73D3D1BF9CFE1
> balks with the following message which is repeated in the log with the
> "info" logging level up to 23251 times at the exact same millisecond.

I assume you are talking about the router_pick_published_address
message.

> The relay responds at :9030/tor/server/authority with a 503 error.

This is a temporary error when your relay is overloaded.

I just tried
http://167.114.245.102:9030/tor/server/authority
and it delivered the descriptor fine, with no error.

I logged a ticket:

Relays should log a message when they return a 503 error to a client

> router_pick_published_address(): Success: chose address 'x.x.x.x'

This message is not an error, it is a success.

But I can see how it would be annoying:

Rate limit router_pick_published_address log message

> This is a counting from the log with the corresponding timestamp.
>
> Nov 01 18:37:13.000 - 23251
> Nov 01 18:37:22.000 - 59
> Nov 01 18:38:17.000 - 23195
> Nov 01 18:38:22.000 - 57
> Nov 01 19:19:22.000 - 50
> Nov 01 19:19:23.000 - 312
> Nov 01 19:19:24.000 - 333
> Nov 01 19:19:25.000 - 74
> Nov 01 19:20:22.000 - 52
> Nov 01 19:38:17.000 - 23207
> Nov 01 20:38:17.000 - 23232
>
> 140 times exactly 49 repeats in around 2 hours.
>
> Interesting is that there is no error about this 503 error in the log
> only my monitoring is aware of the issue.
>
> I hope you coul'd help me out with this issue.

Maybe you should turn your log level down to notice?
The less you log, the better.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n