[tor-relays] Automatic IPv6 address detection in Tor

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 21:56:06 UTC 2016

> On 9 Nov. 2016, at 05:40, diffusae <punasipuli at t-online.de> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Is this already solved in 0.2.8.9-1 for addresses with global scope?

No, that's a ticket related to private IPv6 addresses on test networks.

You want this one, which is not fixed:

> I was trying to configure a global reachable IPv6 address, but getting
> the following error:
>
> "unable to use configured ipv6 address "[::]" in a descriptor."
>
> The only way ist to set a clear global address in the config.

Yes, the only way to have an IPv6 ORPort is for the operator to
explicitly configure an ORPort with a globally routable IPv6 address.

Address autodetection is error-prone.

IPv4 address autodetection is the source of many accidental
misconfigurations by relay operators.

IPv6 autodetection would be worse, because relays don't ever use
IPv6 to connect to directory servers or other relays, so they would
have to scan their local interfaces, and pick an arbitrary IPv6
address. This doesn't work well in the IPv4 case, so it really is
better for operators to select a routable IPv6 address.

> The ISP is changing the 64 bit prefix a bit from time to time and I
> don't want to configure it manually every two weeks or so.

It probably is best to avoid configuring IPv6, or get a better ISP.

(There's no reason for an ISP to change prefixes for IPv6, they should
have plenty of address space. Sounds like they're treating it just
like IPv4.)

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n