[tor-relays] Guard before Stable flag?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 21:28:00 UTC 2016

> On 2 Nov. 2016, at 23:42, John Ricketts <john at quintex.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> When looking at my list on Atlas (21 entries) I'm seeing that some of my relays are getting the Guard flag before they become stable.
>
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/quintex
>
> I'm going to make the assumption this is normal behavior but I still find it odd.
>
> I also find it odd that I haven't received the stable flag all of the relays given their uptime.  Thoughts, anyone?

There's a known bug with the Stable flag where downtime has a greater impact
the longer the relay has been up. It really should be the other way around.

Ideally, we want any previous uptime to be better than switching relay
identities. Otherwise, a new relay is better than one with history.
(Which is sometimes how it works at the moment.)

Or, perhaps we want to assume that new relays will have the network average
uptime. So any uptime that's better than average should improve your relay's
chances of getting the Guard flag.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n