[tor-relays] Interrogated by Finnish police for alleged idendity crimes, fraud and attempts of fraud

Julien ROBIN julien.robin28 at free.fr
Tue Nov 1 12:25:36 UTC 2016

Hi Volker,

A French text of law also exists for the following protection (following
lines) but there is some others laws that are making it not completely
clear, unfortunately.

You're not responsible about information that have been transmitted
trough your Internet access if :
  -You're not originating the transmission
  -You're not selecting the recipient of the transmission
  -You're not selecting and not modifying the transmitted information

It's a little bit known because of intellectual property law
infringement ("HADOPI" here).
Some years ago, when downloading movies and music with Peer to peer, if
there were questions and complaint people simply could say "it's not me,
somebody is likely using my IP trough WiFi".

So they written a law saying that you become responsible of "the faulty
protection of your access", responsible of having neglected it, with a
possible sanction about it. That means that today, you're supposed to
have logs and identifications about "who is doing what" if you operate a
public Internet access, and one time it's a reproach that I had orally
about Tor. I didn't done a lot of research on this subject in order to
know if Tor's case is fine about this law or not, since it was not a
written and formal comment.

Here's for the technical points.

With hindsight :

Of course the law have been made in order to apply on movies and music
download, and as a lot of laws, it can also be useful for information
services in case of misdeed; and lot of people are agreeing with it,
after all.
Finally it also have a repercussion about things like Tor; and I believe
that not a lot of people here know about Tor.

People aren't always realizing that this kind of laws (supposed to be
done "for people and on behalf of people"), are written out of any
control from people, and are almost irreversible. And people never know
how much things those law can touch. Few month ago with the "Emergency
state" law about Islamic terrorism, ecology activists and volunteers had
"assigned residence orders" during COP21, because this law is talking
about security and trouble avoidance. Then, one can always say that it's
good, but obviously I think nobody realize what we are loosing because
of this kind of security laws. Even if climbing and eating flowers with
big signs remains, most of the time, ineffective (as change.org and
avaaz is most of the time), since elected persons who write the laws
don't even care about it (and that's the biggest problem we have today).
In our case, elected people are doing the law. For better laws, the only
solution is better elected people, and that's a big problem too ;)

But then it's not related anymore to what we are discussing here (or
just as it's about laws and fairness).