[tor-relays] Tor bandwith question

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 11:42:10 UTC 2016

> On 1 Nov. 2016, at 15:58, <anemoi at tutanota.de> <anemoi at tutanota.de> wrote:
>
> In order to clarify this once and for all: If I setup a Tor relay with 200 kBps, do I slow down the Tor network? What amount of bandwith is needed in order to not slow down the network?

In order to get the Fast flag, you need a relay capable of 2 megabytes per
second. Most clients won't use you for anything if you don't have the Fast
flag, so you'll have minimal impact on the network.

That said, each extra relay adds to the directory download overhead.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org