[tor-relays] I'm Running A Tor Exit But Never Initiated It

Christian Pietsch christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de
Mon May 30 11:25:21 UTC 2016

Hi GDR!

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:54:41PM +0200, GDR! wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2016 15:23:24 +0000 "krutt at anche.no" <krutt at anche.no> wrote:
>
> > I can't image a single reason why Tor should be configured to run a
> > relay without the system admins knowledge.
>
> Debian did this - I'm not sure if it does that any more.

This bug is not present in current and recent versions of Debian.

> `apt-get install tor` used to run an exit relay unless you uncomment
> "ExitPolicy reject *:*" in torrc. I had the same problem a few years
> ago, suddenly captchas started appearing everywhere after installing
> tor.

Do you mean this bug in Tor 0.1.0 which was fixed in 2005?

-------------- begin quote from the Debian changelog --------------

tor (0.1.0.11-1) unstable; urgency=high

  * New upstream version (closes: #316753):
    - Fixes a serious bug: servers now honor their exit policies -
      In 0.1.0.x only clients enforced them so far.  0.0.9.x is
      not affected.
  * Build depend on libevent-dev >= 1.1.
  * Urgency high because 0.0.9.10-1 did not make it into testing after
    like 3 weeks because of an impending ftp-master move.  So I might
    just as well upload this one.

 -- Peter Palfrader <weasel at debian.org>  Mon,  4 Jul 2005 17:53:48 +0200

-------------- end quote from the Debian changelog --------------

Cheers,
Christian

--
  Christian Pietsch · volunteering for Digitalcourage e.V.
  Marktstr. 18, D-33602 Bielefeld, Germany

Vorratsdatenspeicherung? Nicht schon wieder! Unterstützen Sie
unsere Verfassungsbeschwerde: https://digitalcourage.de/weg-mit-vds