[tor-relays] I'm Running A Tor Exit Node And NEVER Initiated It

Dr Gerard Bulger gerard at bulger.co.uk
Mon May 30 08:57:13 UTC 2016

I had a very annoying control freak systems administrator some years back
working on systems I owned, but he sought absolute control so he changed
passwords everywhere.  He could not understand how message-of-the-day or
banner would continue to change. To my amusement never mentioned to me the
"security breaches".

He never saw that I had a Zebedee reverse tunnel connecting to the Unix
server's telnet running out on port 443 out my own external server.  Then
noticed that in /etc/passwd there was another login with 0:0 root
permissions.   None of his changes to passwords, including root, or fiddling
with the router could lock me out and of my control.

About the only way I can see that your scenario of entry into a system is
that an old machine is running a reverse tunnel.  I doubt passwords were
ever cracked.

If I had all those breaches described and a mysterious Tor on my network I
think I'd need to check I was taking my tablets

Gerry

Dr Gerry Bulger