[tor-relays] TOR router install without access to root

Green Dream greendream848 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:22:11 UTC 2016

@Nils

Tor path selection avoids using relays from the same /16 subnet, and I
thought it considered the Autonomous System (AS) as well. However now I'm
not finding concrete evidence that path selection looks at AS. I found some
older academic papers on the subject [1], but nothing in the current
specification [2].

Avoiding using two nodes from the same AS would seemingly go a long way
toward mitigating the attack vector you mentioned though.

1) http://freehaven.net/anonbib/cache/DBLP:conf/ccs/EdmanS09.pdf

2) https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/plain/path-spec.txt