[tor-relays] New month, new TOR exit servers, need ELI5 pls

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 21:38:50 UTC 2016

> On 22 May 2016, at 11:30, Random Tor Node Operator <tor at unterderbruecke.de> wrote:
>
> On 05/22/2016 04:00 PM, Markus Koch wrote:
>> Yes, but how many ports do I have to open to be "useful"? In an
>> extreme case: Would it help just to forward port 80 and 433?
>
> I think the most spartanic Exit Policy is at the bottom of [1]:
>
> ExitPolicy accept *:53        # DNS
> ExitPolicy accept *:80        # HTTP
> ExitPolicy accept *:443       # HTTPS
> ExitPolicy reject *:*
>

> What is useful and what isn't is probably a matter of the eye of the
> beholder.
>
> In my opinion, a http/https/dns-only exit is surely still more useful
> than not exiting at all.

It's worth noting that Exits do DNS on behalf of clients that ask to connect to a domain name, regardless of whether the ExitPolicy includes port 53. So port 53 is only useful for clients that want to run their own DNS over TCP, or use port 53 for something else.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B