[tor-relays] What's this Abuse

Dr Gerard Bulger gerard at bulger.co.uk
Fri May 20 15:52:21 UTC 2016

Point taken.  Can admin remove my post?

-----Original Message-----
From: tor-relays [mailto:tor-relays-bounces at lists.torproject.org] On Behalf Of Tim Wilson-Brown - teor
Sent: 20 May 2016 16:49
To: tor-relays at lists.torproject.org
Subject: Re: [tor-relays] What's this Abuse

> On 20 May 2016, at 11:12, Dr Gerard Bulger <gerard at bulger.co.uk> wrote:
>

> My ISP got a weird Abuse notice with no details. Just said stop. Stop what?  When we asked what the “abuse” was they sent a 1mb.gz snapshop of their log files.
>
> There were a few references to my IP, but I have no idea what was seen as abuse:    Can anyone tell me what they are fussed about?    I like to respond in a robust manner.
>
> My IP is 5.77.47.142

Hi Gerard,

It looks like the website that sent you their logs didn't filter out other people's IP addresses.
This reduces the privacy of the users of that website.

Please be careful when posting logs like this.
The logs you posted link users' IP addresses and their web browsing.

One of Tor's goals is to make it difficult to link Internet users' IP addresses and their Internet traffic.
We don't want our mailing list messages to go against this goal.
(Even if the Internet users involved are not using Tor or another IP anonymisation method.)

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B