[tor-relays] Don't use Google's DNS server

Petrusko petrusko at riseup.net
Mon May 16 21:11:42 UTC 2016

Hey,

The package Unbound can be nice ? I'm using it on the LAN...
My Unbound set up is using the root.hints, so I think it's always and
only speaking with those root DNS servers...
But I've read on some tutorials, ISP and others "men-in-the-middle" can
intercept DNS queries, and answer to your server... so this solution
can't be 100% secure, like any DNS solution.
Here, Unbound is set up to speak only with root DNS servers:

apt-get install unbound
cd /etc/unbound

-download the root.hints file:
wget ftp://ftp.internic.net/domain/named.cache -O /etc/unbound/root.hints

-generate TLS keys (dnssec):
unbound-control-setup

-change owner + rights :
chown unbound:root unbound_*
chmod 440 unbound_*

-add the line to use root.hints file:
nano /etc/unbound/unbound.conf

root-hints: "/etc/unbound/root.hints"

-if you want to check your config file:
 unbound-checkconf /etc/unbound/unbound.conf

-verify in the /etc/resolv.conf file (already said, but always check
another time!):
 nameserver 127.0.0.1

I hope this helps, and my configuration is ok?!
And don't know if Unbound is ready for an exit node? (performance) I'm
only using it on some little LAN without any issues.